Thursday, 9 January 2014

HOW TO: Write achievable goals



So it is the new year and with that comes new years resolutions. It seems everyone makes a list of goals for the new year, stick to them for a month or so and then go back to their old habits.

A lot of this comes down to the fact that their resolutions are too hard to keep.


This could be that they are unrealistic like a person who hasn't done any exercise for the past 10 years saying "I'm going to run 5km everyday".

It could also be that their goal is very broad like "I'm going to lose weight".

These are the two common errors people make when writing goals. After a lot of reading I have come up with a few tips to help you write more achievable goals.

Firstly, goals need to be specific. If your goal is wishy washy, you are less likely to stick to it. Just saying "I'm going to lose weight" is too hard to maintain since it could mean anything. Think, how am I going to lose this weight? how much weight do I want to lose?

** On a side note, I feel losing weight puts people in the wrong mentality. Rather than focus on weight, think about dress size or fitness. I will post about this next week so keep an eye out.

Secondly, you need to include a time frame. You need to be accountable for your goal. Without including a time frame, you can convince yourself you will do it tomorrow and we all know that tomorrow never comes. So think how much time am I willing to put into this goal? how long will I give myself to achieve this goal?

Thirdly, make it realistic! Like I said, if you have never exercised before, "run 5km everyday" is going to be way too hard to stick to. Especially when it comes to exercise, ease into it. Make it easy for yourself. I find if something is too hard, it is too hard to maintain.

So following those tips I wrote my new year goals. Here is just one:

I will exercise for 20minutes every other day (4 x week)

Now go write your goals (they can be new year goals, or just life goals) and share them with me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...