Monday, 22 July 2013

Getting into a fitness routine



Recently (as of right now) I have decided to try and get into a fitness routine. Beginning any routine is hard work BUT actually sticking with the fitness routine until it becomes habit is when the hard work truly begins.


There are a lot of opinions out there in the world as to how long it takes for something to become habit - varying from 21 days to 66 days, or even longer. Another common question is how do you know when something is a habit? I believe something is a habit when you know longer have to convince yourself to get it done - when you no longer come up with excuses. Something way in the future for me... way way in the future.

I am not going to go crazy and say "I'm going to go for a run everyday, do 100 sit-ups, push-ups and squats everyday". That is just wishful thinking, especially since I have not consistently exercised for the past... well, for years. I have definitely read my fair share of blogs and articles related to fitness. A common piece of advice is to make realistic goals - they are easier to keep. I have taken inspiration from various blogs and articles to create the following rules/goals/routine.

1. 50 sit ups morning and night
2. Plank for 1 minute morning and night
3. Power walk for 1 hour every day

For me, this seems to be a realistic routine. I plan to stick to this routine for the next 30 days and hopefully will be able to confidently say this is habit by the end. Or at least be able to say it is easier and less of a struggle to get out and exercise.

I am going to begin tomorrow with my new fitness routine. I will keep you posted on my progress. During my journey I will post motivational tips, exercise ideas, fitness tips and other fun fitness related bits and bobs.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...